Sunday, April 13, 2014

Rain, Snow, & Hail Sunday Stitching



This quilt is "Purple Patches." I got an email on Wednesday that there is a baby shower next week for a pregnant coworker. I had no idea she was pregnant. The email said she did not want a big deal made, but her nursery was going to be in purple. This woman is an artist with cookies. She decorates with icing the most adorable sugar cookies and makes lovely cookie bouquets. I know she will appreciate the time and effort of a custom made quilt.

I pieced this making log cabin blocks I had seen on a website as part of a scrap challenge. (I cannot remember whose website to give credit. Sorry!) The purples were cut 2.5 inches wide with the centers 2.5 inches square and the white backgrounds are 1.5 inches wide. The blocks finished at 12 inches square.
 Wednesday after work I rushed to my LQS and bought a white background with little purple flowers a 30's style print. (The only fabric purchased. Yes!) Ran home and dug into my small stash of purple fabrics. I cut like a maniac and even started piecing on Wednesday night continued on Thursday night. Friday night I got all the blocks done. Saturday morning I sewed them all together, pieced the back from my stash, made a label, and pinned it. In the afternoon, I quilted it using my new favorite wavy stitch on my Pfaff, trimmed it, attached binding, and started hand binding it. I did not stay up late working on it because I went out to dinner with some friends or it would have done yesterday. Not bad for a 50+ inch square quilt! I finished binding it this morning for Slow Sunday Stitching. Washed it and managed to run outside for pictures between rain, snow, and hail storms.
This afternoon I whipped up this lovely fabric basket for my teenager's Easter Basket. She picked out the fabric when she drove me to the fabric store during Spring Break. She found the last bits of some Bonnie and Camille Marmalade fabrics plus the trendy chevron. It came out great and I have some fun loot to fill it with.
I am still working on my "Let It Snow" embroidery blocks and have to get a couple of house blocks done for a quilt along. I think we will need a couple of crock pot dinners this week, so I will have more quilting time!

23 comments:

  1. Love your purple quilt, and that wavy quilting is something I am going to have to try. I have that stitch on my machine, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful purple baby quilt! I am sure that she will love it! -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is lovely, and I'm sure your co-worker will appreciate the work you have put into it. The baby will probably have it for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! You have been very productive!!! The quilt and basket are beautiful! I am sure the quilt will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a deadline for motivation to finish a project! You have made a lively gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quick / amazing! And it's so pretty....wonderful gift! That little basket is oh-so-cute as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic purple quilt and a wonderful baby gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't believe how quickly you made such an amazing quilt! She's sure to love it- and I love that it looks like cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the easter basket's fabrics. What a cool basket!
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a quilt making machine! What a beautiful gift - she will love it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely! The colour scheme is great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow have you been busy and what a beautiful quilt! She will love it and your daughter's little basket is cute too1 Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful quilt, and a fast finish. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous baby quilt! Love the quilting. She will be thrilled. Cute basket, too. Gotta love that Bonnie and Camille!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that purple patches quilt. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a real purple pleaser of a baby quilt! Wow, you work fast!
    Love your teenage daughter's Easter basket... great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a rockstar! Great job on such a wonderful quilt, she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great work on the quilt, and I love the Easter basket - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all that purple, you did a lovely job! I am sure she will love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The basket is fabulous. And I love the colorway on the quilt! Thanks for linking up to Inspire Us Thursday on The Inspired Wren.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!