Friday, May 23, 2014

Summer Break

Look what arrived in the mail today! This lovely tote bag from Terry, my partner for Super Swaps on Flickr. She used my favorite Scrumptious fabric from Bonnie and Camille. She included a mini charm pack of it and lined the bag with the beautiful aqua paisley.

The tote is a good size and has two outer pockets for my cell phone and keys. It looks perfect for my summer tote bag!

My summer break officially began yesterday (I am a teacher, so when it is summer I sew like mad woman)! Of course, I started a new quilting project, but it is some secret sewing, so I can't share any pictures. I have a couple of birthdays I am sewing for. I went up to a fabric store a couple of towns away and got some $5 a yard flat folds for my secret sewing yesterday. I hit my local quilt shop today and they hassled me that I had not been in sooner! I also went to Joann's and stocked up on batting.  I usually buy a 40 yard roll of Warm and Natural, but I decided to try a Pellon cotton batting that was $2 a yard cheaper. I only bought 18 yards and hope I like it. Any advice about this kind of batting?

Today I made these sweet houses for a quilt along I have been participating in over at http://kimsbigquiltingadventure.blogspot.com/

Paulette over at http://sweetp-paulette.blogspot.com/2014/05/bloggers-quilt-festival-2014.html has entered her version of the quilt as part of the Bloggers Quilt Festival. Seeing her completed quilt has really inspired me. It is fun digging into my brushed cottons stash and designing these house. I think it is the border that makes this quilt.

I will spend this Memorial Day weekend sewing up a storm, since it will be stormy and gray outside...Perfect quilting weather!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are organised for your break!
    Love the little houses.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer break already. Yay! Have fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute houses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't sew with out the sun, love the summer tote you got and have fun with your houses they look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't ya just love the first day of summer break!!!!! Enjoy! (We don't get out until June 5 th...ughh!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great house blocks!! on my to do list someday :-) visiting from Sewjo Sat, would love a visit back!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your break. We don't finish up at school until the end of June but summer is my quilting time too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute houses. I tried the Pelion batting and had a lot of fuzz all over my quilt. I decided to use it for smaller projects that didn't need that much handling and it worked out better for me. Hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds fabulous - so much time off work. Lots of sewing time! Very cute houses too - Paulette's finished quilt is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice tote! And the houses are pretty...enjoy the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love house quilts. Your house is so pretty. I missed out on joining in on Kim's house quilt along. It sounds like your summer is going to be filled with lots of quilting. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo - yeah! The houses are going to look fabulous. I love the border around her finished quilt. Enjoy your summer quilting - looking forward to watching it. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!