Friday, June 13, 2014

Sail Away Finish

I started this on Tuesday and finished it this morning! I have always wanted to make a sail boat quilt and Messy Jesse has been working on one http://messyjessecrafts.blogspot.com/ and the pattern is free http://www.quiltmag.com/quilt-patterns/quilt-junejuly-2013-%E2%80%93-naturally-nautical-blue-and-white-remake/ so I started digging in my blue scraps and just used some random pieces of muslin for the background. Every boat is a different blue fabric. I made mine smaller than the original pattern with 18 boats.

I quilted it with the large wavy quilt stitch on my Pfaff horizontally, so it looks like the ocean. I spaced them every inch. It scrunched up nicely in the wash and its finished measurements are 35 x 50 inches. I used the Pellon cotton batting and the backing/binding is something I had in my stash from Jo Morton and I know I bought it ages ago for $3 a yard.

Thanks to Kelly over at http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.com/ I am trying to label my quilts. I named this one "Sail Away." I really love how this came out because I like how it looks like an antique quilt and it reminds me of all the sailing I did when I was a teenager. Now, I can start something else. I need to make a needle book for a swap, so I am off to the quilt shop for some special fabric.

27 comments:

  1. beautiful quilt, I think using the muslin really does make it look like an antique quilt. great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe that you finished this so quickly! It does not look like a quicky at all. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great finish. I love the scrappiness yet how well it all goes together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue sail boats.....so nice! I made a quilt with blue sail boats a long time ago. Donated to a charitable cause. Baby quilt size. I have often thought of making another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the boats, and the quilting just pushing it over the top. The waves are just so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dreaming of sailing with this perfect quilt. What a great finish for summer. Great color selection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt! Love how you quilted it and the label is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Now I have the earworm "Come Sail Away, Come Sail Away, Come Sail Away with Meeeeeee" stuck in my head. (That dates me doesn't it?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilting! Love that it's more "everyday quilting"--plays to the visual impact of the quilt---not just the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dropping by from Sew-Jo Saturday, what a smashing quilt, looks fab with those blues - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! :) So fun. I would totally have made this pattern for my boys when they were babies if I'd quilted then! Lovely work. (stopping by from Sew-Jo Saturday)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have been wanting to make a sailboat quilt. Love yours! I also need to try making my own labels like this, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks fantastic, your quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a quick finish! Looks so cozy with all those crinkles. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is awesome! I agree it has an antique flair to it. The wavy stitch you used looks just like waves and is the perfect design to complement the sailboats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love the quilting and the label is perfect....I am always a little jealous of how great Kelly's always look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a fabulous quilt! You did a fabulous job with the quilting.I am getting at labeling my quits too. I put the label on the backing before I quilt it. Then I just have to bind and write on the completion date.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love sailboats, too. Your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your Sail Away quilt! The label is pretty, too. It does have a beautiful vintage look to it!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the pattern link. I haven't resisted Sarah Jane's Out to Sea collection, and I think this may be just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt really caught my eye! I love the wave quilting lines too, just a perfect choice. Although we don't sail, we do have a boat, and there is NOTHING better in the world (well, maybe quilting) than bobbing around on the lake in the sun. I will have to check out the link to this quilt. And LOL I hear you about the "counting the days until she drives" -- I remember the running days all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These boats are so timeless. I love this quilt. Great finish : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous! I love the wavy quilting. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The boats in different shades of blues look so wonderful!! Beautiful quilt!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh this is GORGEOUS! I just stumbled across your blog, while blog hopping, so pleased I found you! Your nautical quilt is just fantastic, I meed to get my butt into gear and finish mine! Jessie, xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!