Sunday, March 13, 2016

Butterfly Garden Top

 My Butterfly Garden Quilt top is together! This is a design from Lori Holt's Quilty Fun book. I am teaching all the blocks as a BOM at my local fabric store. For April, we will be making the butterfly blocks, so I decided to make the butterfly block quilt featured in the book as an example for my class. It has 91 butterflies and 18 flowers.
 Here are some of the butterflies up close. I used navy Kona from my stash as the background. I had barely enough with a 2.5 inch strip leftover.
 I thought it would be easy to find a navy with a white dot for the borders as was shown in the book. Boy I was wrong, but I did find a small scale gingham that gives the same effect. Plus, I love gingham--I think it is perfect! The fabric that I used for the butterfly bodies was something I found in my mom's stash, but the local fabric store has more. I am thinking of picking that up for the backing. It is pretty good sized 59 x 70 inches. I think I am going to keep it and use it as a tablecloth for my dining room table--my Fiestaware will look perfect on it. I think I will quilt it on the longarm because of its size and I want to practice with a swirl design.
 Yesterday, I taught my class how to make the sewing baskets. This was my example--so simple and sweet.
 I am plugging away on my Down in the Garden block 1. I intend to make some more progress on it today for Slow Sunday Stitching
http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2016/03/slow-sunday-stitching-scissors.html
I am a huge Rachael Ray fan and subscribe to her magazine. I discovered a great economic and delicious recipe in her latest magazine--it is called a PBL (pineapple, bacon, lettuce) Sandwich. It has much more on it than just that--avocado, an egg, mayo, and I put pepper jack cheese too. My vegetarian daughter loved it minus the bacon and I also skipped cooking everything in bacon grease as the recipe called for. This was a big hit with everyone and will be a new go to at our house.

It is a sunny, spring-like day here. I hope to get out in the sunshine a little bit, but I also want to work on my Bloom blocks and get caught up with my Ugly Christmas Sweaters. So much to do and so little time--especially with losing an hour today!

Have a great week!

27 comments:

  1. Love all your projects, and the sandwich looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW the butterfly top is just gorgeous and that sandwhich looks amazing! I happen to have some of those ingredients here....HMM....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your idea for using it as a tablecloth!!! That will be adorable!! Have fun quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butterfly quilt came out beautifully. I love the gingham, great choice.

    The sandwich sounds divine! I may have to find the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Tanya, your Butterfly Garden is Really Gorgeous! It looks great on the dark background. I love Lori's designs.

    Have a great Sunday with DitG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your butterfly quilt!! It is beautiful! Nice new block. That sandwich is huge and looks really yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those butterflies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Sis. Can't wait to see it in person. I'm painting the basement tomorrow so no projects for me the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tanya, I just popped in to see your latest sewing & wow what a very pretty sight indeed! Your butterfly quilt is so pretty, such fun colours, I'm sure your class will be a success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your butterfly garden adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. linda essa colcha, parabens
    abraços do Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  12. The butterfly quilt is so cute and fun--congrats on getting it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great projects, especially the butterfly quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your butterfly quilt is awesome. I have Lori's book so I am thinking I need a butterfly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful butterfly quilt! I love your progress on Down in the Garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is wonderful, love the gingham.
    You know the combo of pineapple, bacon and lettuce sound good

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely work on your butterfly quilt.
    And the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, and I think I like the gingham even more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so fresh and cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The butterfly quilt is wonderful! Enjoy your sunshine! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a pretty and happy quilt! I only recently discovered that I like avocado so will have to try out that sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The butterfly quilt turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely! So bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the butterfly quilt - and great fabric for the butterfly bodies. The sandwich looks YUM! I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the butterfly quilt. The color pops on the black

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! That's quite a flock of butterflies. Congrats on your finish and thanks for linking up with TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!