Sunday, January 22, 2017

UFO Battle

Having an extra day off this week helped with my UFO battle. I dug these blocks out of a tub and sewed the top together.  I consider this quilt a freebie because it was entirely made from my stash. I embraced the 30's reproduction fabrics I used with the borders. I also pulled a peach reproduction for the backing.
Daisy like flowers need to be embroidered in the cornerstones, so it is not quite ready for quilting. This gorgeous embroidery design is from the book, S is for Stitch by Kristyne Czepuryk, and was part of a quilt along in 2015. Since I had an empty bin that meant I could start something else right?
As I have been organizing my sewing room, I have wanted to add some more mini quilts in there. I made this little strawberry mini quilt in an afternoon.
This is a Mini Swoon Quilt. I made it this week as part of the Instagram #swoonalong. This will also stay in my sewing room and features some of my favorite Bonnie and Camille fabrics. I will bind it during the NFL Division Championship games for Slow Sunday Stitching:
 As part of my sewing room reorganization, I ditched my cracked and hand me down bulletin board for this farmhouse looking board. I love the black with rustic chicken wire and the tiny aqua clothespins--totally goes with my feminine farmhouse look I am going for. It is 20x20" and the Mini Swoon Quilt will fit on its right hand side.
I found two galvanized bins at Walmart the other day. I love them for storage in my ironing station! I plan on buying more when they have more in--hopefully soon.
Carole who blogs at 
is hosting another amazing quilt along. It is a mystery and I usually skip mysteries, but the one I did skip, I really regretted it! I am not making that mistake again. I spent Friday night cutting all of my scraps for a twin sized version. 
My gorgeous daughter left to go back to Colgate University yesterday morning. It was a bittersweet goodbye as we had a very nice visit and I miss her terribly, but she is doing fantastic there and will even stay there this summer working in the admissions office. Her trip back to school went smoothly and her classes start tomorrow.
After dropping her off at the airport, I needed retail therapy--I went straight to my favorite fabric store! I got a couple of half yards of B&C along with a yard of Kate Spain North Woods green to make a Patchwork Swoon--a modern looking Christmas quilt for the couch. I also picked up the neutral background for the Scrap Dance Two-Step. Then, I came back home and cut it up and completed the first step for our mystery. I plan on spending the day getting started on the Patchwork Swoon. Have a great week!



SaveSave

23 comments:

  1. You got a lot accomplished. The North Woods fabric looks oh so interesting. Espeically the red print on top of the stack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing room is coming along nicely. Good luck on the mystery quilt, I don't normally do those either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mini Swoon! It's still on my list but first I need to quilting and unpick some quilting I've made and don't like:-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed everything in your post. I Love that ABC quilt!)Glad your daughter made it back safely and that ya got in some retail therapy. I'm looking forward to Carole's mystery QAL and got mine all cut too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather looks great! Love your little strawberry...I want to chat w/you re: hand stitching..got any time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a big swoon ...the mini version looks challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been very busy again. Gorgeous embroideries in the quilt top you have put together.
    And great work on the new minis. Your room is going to look stunning!
    Good luck to your daughter for her studies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've accomplished a lot lately! I love the HSts you used to border the ABC quilt blocks. The minis you've been making look perfect for decorating your sewing room, too. Did you take your daughter to DIA? I'm curious to know where your favorite quilt shop is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good! Great to have a flimsy finish, I'm sure the embroidery cornerstones won't take you long. Thanks for the mention of my Scrap Dance Two-Step Mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been busy.
    I'd suggest putting some felt bottoms on the galvanized cubes to keep them from scratching the paint on your shelves.
    Your daughter made it back just in time. After a very mild January, there's a Nor'easter heading in tonight and the Syracuse area is forecast to get 5 to 8" of heavy wet snow.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new bulletin board is cute as can be! One day I will make a swoon quilt. Seriously. :) I have the pattern.... I really like your mini and it will look good on your wall. And that strawberry!! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The name of giving your sewing room, feminine farmhouse, is super cute. You certainly have been accomplishing a lot. Those College goodbyes are hard, but seem to get easier as time goes by. So what's your favorite quilt shop in the Denver area?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The name of giving your sewing room, feminine farmhouse, is super cute. You certainly have been accomplishing a lot. Those College goodbyes are hard, but seem to get easier as time goes by. So what's your favorite quilt shop in the Denver area?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really made the most of your extra day. I'm happy to hear your daughter made it back to school safely. Mine is already in her second week of classes. My son has returned to Japan, he is in the Navy.

    The sewing room is coming along. You picked up some things for it. Can't wait to see your mini quilts hung.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I'm going to try to do Carole's mystery, too. I like your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt top with embroidered blocks is amazing, I have one similar on the go, but you know...still a UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on getting a UFO one step further along. It's gorgeous. Your minis are very pretty. I love that ironing station. Very effective utilization of space and it's pretty. Good luck with all your stitching plans this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the mini quilts and am in awe of your embroidery skills.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The strawberry tells me spring is not far off (here in CA). It's adorable. Enjoy seeing the embroidery too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great progress on the UFO battle! Love that little strawberry. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your ABC quilt with the pretty embroidered blocks. Are you planning on keeping it for when a new grand child comes along?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the combination of embroidery and scrappiness in your ufo. Your mini swoon is lovely and will look great on your new bulletin board. Good finds on the retail therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely LOVE your ironing station. The top is large and rectangular and doesn't neck down like an ironing board. Besides the usefulness, it is so pretty to look at. I want one but I don't have space to put it right now. It is in my notes for safekeeping though. I love love love the color you painted it besides!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!